Friday, October 28, 2011

Confessions of A St Louis Cardinals Fan

I'm a native Missourian, and I'm just so excited for St Louis today! The Cardinals baseball team rallied to win in the 11th inning of game 6 in the World Series, forcing a game 7 playoff, which will be played tonight in St. Louis. They'll be playing the 2010 World Series 2nd place team the Texas Rangers.

Many people know that I lived in St. Louis and was a cheerleader for the Rams NFL Football Team. St. Louis is the most beautiful sports city, and it thrills me to see such excitement coming to the city where I lived.

... but I have some confessions.

1) I grew up in Kansas City and am more of a Royals fan, who in 1985 beat the St Louis Cardinals to win the World Series. We haven't been very good since then, but fair weather fan I certainly am not! Have you seen my KC Royals first pitch from September this year? 

2) Just about 3 weeks ago I was whining about my boyfriend wanting to watch the MLB playoffs on TV. I think my exact quote was, "Baseball is soooooo booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrringggggg." The truth is that I LOVE going to baseball games, but can't we all admit that watching the game on TV is dreadfully painful at times?

3) I only lived in St Louis for 10 months.

4) I've never been to a Cardinals game although have gotten lost driving past Busch Stadium many times (it's a beautiful stadium!). I think I have been to a Royals game when they played the Cardinals, but I'm sure I was wearing blue.

5) I do own ONE piece of Cardinals apparel - a red logo tank top. It's about 45 degrees outside today in Richmond, Virginia, but I'm wearing it proudly.

6) I am really afraid of squirrels but for some reason love this rally squirrel. Kinda looks like me in this photo, do you think?? If you haven't heard of Buschie the Cardinals Rally Squirrel, check out this Newsy.com video (which, on a side note, is produced out of University of Missouri - Columbia award-winning journalism department, and I developed their online marketing while I lived in St. Louis. Love me some Newsy.com!)

Whew, I feel much better. I was feeling somewhat like a bandwagon Cardinals fan, so I had to get that off my chest!

What I'm learning about the 2011 MLB World Series is that we can all benefit from a resurgence of energy, no matter where it roots - you just have to open yourself up to let it happen. And if it comes from a city 2,000 miles away from you, who cares!?! If it comes from sharing in the happiness of your friends who are TRUE Cardinals fans, well that is just as exciting. Celebrate. Take time off from work. Watch the game, eat a hamburger, and enjoy the journey - win or lose.

Good luck tonight Cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment